• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Changing from Motorcraft Oil to Valvoline VR1 high zinc racing oil

One Owner 1982

So I’m having trouble getting Motorcraft 10W40 oil in my area. Ordering the oil is not helpful because every place I’ve tried to order it from wants $9.00 to 10.00 a quart. I’m building a 1968 200 6 Cylinder for a 66 Mustang. Everyone I’ve talked to on the VMF forum says that Valvoline VR1 has high zinc and is well suited for older engines. I’ve been running Motorcraft 10W40 synthetic blend in my 1982 Fox 2.3L engine for a long time. Is changing to Valvoline VR1 10W30 conventional a good or bad idea for my 1982?

347HO

I ran some tests on oils in small bore, short stroke, high rpm, 4stroke engines on a dyno.
VR1 was my first choice for overall HP, cylinder wall wear, bearing wear, and fouling performance.
Although tests and samples were taken from different engines over a 1 year period, all the test engines performed better with VR1 in them vs Quaker, Mobil1, Kendall, Shell Rotella.

Oil samples were taken and burned after 10 hits down 1320 and a few dyno hits.

I'm just gonna add... No oil can perform optimally without good filtration and temp control.
Goes without saying... No fuel in it either...

One Owner 1982

That’s great information, thank you. I really want to run the same oil in both engines but I was apprehensive about changing the oil type and weight in my 82 Fox after running the motorcraft for so long.