• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Finally got my Mustang back!

Joey

Hey everyone. My name is Joey, I'm from Maine. Just got myself another Mustang, so I've been checking the internet for a forum full of like-minded people. Seems this may be the place.

A little about me: I got started in this Mustang business whene I was 18 years old (in 1996) when I got a 78 Mustang II. I had plans to get the car back on the road, but opportunity knocked. My uncle had a 66 2+2 fastback and one day he called me up, asking if I'd help him get it read for a parade in our hometown. If I did, he would let me drive it in said parade. (He had a 35 5 window coupe.) It was a rolling chassis. No engine/trans, no interior. I absolutely loved working on vehicles with him, as he's the one that taught me all I know and got me into the hobby, so I said yes. We had a week to do so.

First thing was the engine/transmission. He had a 351 Windsor and a 3 speed to drop in it. We installed it, turned the key, and it purred. Sounded beautiful. Until the first time we tapped the throttle. It rapped bad, sounding like it was going to explode. Sadly, this was the only engine he had. I really wanted to drive this car in the parade, so I told him I'd be willing to take the built 302 out of my 78 and use it just for the parade. He agreed, and a week later we had the car finished. Hell, we even used the rug/seats from my 78.

So I drove it in the parade and fell in love with the car. So much so that my uncle offered to sell it to me for $2,500 in payments. I agreed and bought the car. I had a lot of fun in the old girl, but times got tough and years later (2001) I had to sell. Shamefully, I took a $2,000 check for the car. I know. Shame on me. To this day it hasn't had a mile put on it. Still looks like the day I sold her, sitting in a garage 10 minutes from where I live.

I got things back together and went through many project vehicles (84 Ranger with a 2.3 turbo/5 speed from an 83 Thunderbird, 85 Ranger with a 302 swap, etc.) In the past couple years, I aquired a mint 77 F150 4x4 and a 66 AMC Rambler American 440H 2 door hard top. I got sick of working on them, though they were both nearly rust-free, so today I traded them both for a Mustang.

So here I am. I now own an 86 Mustang GT 5 speed. The guy I bought it from didn't build the entire car, but the list I have from him so far is as follows:

Engine is .030 over, cammed (not sure which), GT40 intake, after market injectors (24lb I think, not sure on which ones yet), Edelbrock throttle body, BBK cold air intake, aluminum radiator, electric fan, MSD ignition/distributor, dual Flowmaster Super 40's, subframe connectors, bagged springs, 4.30 gears (yeah, the car was built for 1/8 mile racing), 28 spline Superior axles, posi rear (checking on which), driveshaft loop, all Autometer guages (tach, volt, oil, water, air/fuel), B&M shift, all Eibach on the rear end (front still stock), etc. There's just so much to list.

So I've "got my Mustang back". Not my 66, nor my 78...but my ass is in another Mustang seat, where it belongs.

Anyway, I'll likely be browsing the forums a bit now. Glad to be here. I've always loved these Fox body Mustangs. It was my first "true love" in the vehicle world, and this is the first one I've owned. I do have one question about my intake plenum, but I'll go post that in the proper forum.

See you around!

Attachments

• 86gt.jpg
    86gt.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Joey

Thanks guys.

This is my first Fox, and I'm having more fun driving this one than my other two already. These things are crazy. It helps that the previous owners have already put a ton of money into it. Sky's the limit!