• Hello there guest and Welcome to Fox Body Mustangs forum, This forum is intended to be used by enthusiasts of the Fox body Ford Mustangs (1979-1993)!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

new guy from florida

85foxbody

I have a 85 fox body mustang and i am looking to change it over to a twin turbo if possible. It currently has a 302 boss motor in it. I would like to know if there is anyone that would be willing to help me in this journey! I have never done anything like this, although I do have a lot of knowledge of motors. I understand that I am going to have to get a turbo kit with a c.a.c. as well as the supporting parts to put it all together. Do I need to change the head? Since the motor is currently a carburetor motor, do I need to convert it to fuel injection? I appreciate any of the help that you can provide me with. Thanks

Blown347

Staff member
Welcome! What heads do you have on it now? You don't have to run fuel injection you can just put a blow through carb on it and be old school :p

What are your goals overall? There are lots of things that can be done to pull every last bit of power out of it but that's not everyone's intention. Biggest thing is to have a cam built for your combo once you decide on what parts you're going to use

85foxbody

Well I am not to sure what a blow through carb is. To my knowledge the only thing that is slightly modified on this car is the exhaust and headers, everything else is stock. I am wanting to really just try to get as much as I can out of this car and make it look like a sleeper, but is pushing around 800-900hp.

Blown347

Staff member
Is it an FRPP boss block? That was my impression, if not you can't push that kid of power through the stock block it will wind up in several pieces lol.

A blow through carb is just a carb made to run boost through. To push that kind of power you will need at least 205cc heads such as an AFR 205, edelbrock victor jr, or a trick flow high port. The motor will have to be a bare minimum 347 ci, if you have a boss block your power goals are attainable, but pretty much the only thing you will be able to keep is the bare block itself.

85foxbody

ok. I am kinda trying to learn all of this stuff. Like I said before, I can do anything really with a vehicle, as far as tear down and reassembly. But I don't really know to much about compression and what type of head I need, and what size pistons, and so on. So if anyone knows of something that I could use as maybe a starting place or maybe any suggestions on what I should start out with, and then be able to build on to it to be able to achieve my final 900+ rwhp, I would greatly appreciate all of the help. Sorry I do not know more, as I am trying to do this on my own so that I have something that I will be able to carry over to my kids and maybe start something new in our family. Thanks